Preparation and cooking time: Under an hour
In Mexico, tortilla soup is often cooked in a cast-iron pot. It is served with a small bowl of roasted chili seeds and additional strips of tortilla so that guests can garnish it to taste.
Try this soup with avocado edges on top.
- Cut the tortillas into strips; fry gently in a little oil; drain and place on paper towels;
- dry roast the tomato so that is easy to peel; purée in a blender with the onion and garlic;
- remove the ribs from the pasilla chilies, saving the ribs and the seeds; fry the ribs and seeds in a little oil; season with salt, sprinkle with lime juice and serve on the side;
- soak the chilies (without the ribs and seeds) in water for one hour; then boil for 10 minutes; drain the chilies and fry with the tomato purée in 2 tbsp. oil;
- add the chicken broth, tortilla strips and juice of two limes;
- shred the chicken breast or cut into thin strips; add to the soup at the last minute, heat through and serve the soup hot.
Photo : Avocado Central (Hass)
Hints & Tips