Preparation time: Under an hour
Cooking time: About 30 minutes
Refrigeration time: 2-3 hours
Colomba is a Corsican beer, 5% alcohol, brewed from malted barley and wheat and flavored with herbs from the Corsican brush. It's nature that gives it its distinctive taste, delicately infused with myrtle, arbutus, juniper and other natural flavors.
- Bring the sugar, flesh of half a melon and water to a boil until the sugar is completely dissolved.
- Add the mint and let infuse for 20 minutes; remove the mint to avoid a "cooked leaf" flavor. Let cool.
- Add the muscat. Refrigerate.
- Combine the beer and sugar and reduce to 200 g (2/3 cup).
- Combine the grapefruit juice and beer syrup.
- Place in the freezer.
- Bring the water and sugar to a boil until the sugar is completely dissolved .
- Add the apple sauce and process in a blender until completely smooth.
- Add the beer; blend again. Place in a sorbet or ice cream maker and freeze.
Brocciu sorbet for milkshakes
- Bring the water, vanilla and sugar to a boil until the sugar is completely dissolved. Remove the vanilla bean. Pour over the brocciu; process in a blender until smooth. Cool and place in a sorbet or ice cream maker and freeze.
- Combine equal parts brocciu sorbet and whipped cream, mixing well to make a milkshake.
- Serve the trio as follows:
- Place the brocciu sorbet into tall glasses; pour the milkshake over top and serve with a straw.
- Place the grapefruit granita into dessert coupes; top with a scoop of colomba sorbet.
- Pour the consommé into other dessert coupes; garnish with melon balls and fresh mint leaves.
Hints & Tips