Preparation time: 20 minutes
Cooling time: 30 minutes
Cooking time: 12 minutes
These cookies are a strawberry preserve sandwiched between almond rich, crumbly and buttery cookies. Although you could make them any shape you like, Valentine's day seems like the perfect time for sweetheart cookies and red preserve!
- Cream the butter and sugar together. Add the egg and vanilla.
- Mix in the ground nuts.
- Stir together dry ingredients in a bowl and mix with the wet mixture to form the dough. Roll into disks, wrap and refrigerate for 30 minutes.
- Roll out dough on a dusty flour board and cut the cookies in desired shape. Cut out the base cookie shapes. Cut out the centers of half the disks with a smaller cookie cutter shape. Re-roll scraps and repeat.
- Place them 5 cm / 2 inches apart on prepared baking sheet. Make sure you freeze them for a few minutes before transferring, lest the cookies break apart.
- In a preheated oven at 350°F/175°C bake for 12 minutes or until edges turn lightly golden. Cool on a wire rack.
- Heat the preserve and spread the solid disks with a layer of the hot preserves. Make sure to steer clear of the edges since we don’t want the preserve oozing out.
- Place the top layer cookie over the bottom, pressing down lightly. Sprinkle with powdered sugar, then fill the holes with more preserves.
Hints & Tips