Veal Crépinettes with Potato Cakes and Bean-Cassoulet Recipe
Flavors of Austria
For 4 servings
- 400 g (14 oz.) potatoes
- Thyme, cumin
- 60 g (2 oz.) butter
- 100 g (3.5 oz.) crème fraîche
- 5 egg yolks + 5 egg whites
- salt and freshly ground pepper
- nutmeg, Parmesan
- 600 g 21 oz.) veal backs with bone (8 medallions with a bone)
- 300 g (10.5 oz.) turkey without fat (or lean minced turkey)
- 200 g (7 oz.) whipped cream
- Thyme, salt, freshly ground white pepper
- 4 Tbsp. reduced Madeira
- 4 Tbsp. reduced Port Wine
- 120 g (4. 2 oz.) green beans, cooked, and cut into pieces
- 120 g (4.2 oz.) black beans, cooked
- 120 g (4.2 oz.) red kidney beans, cooked
- 2 Tbsp. butter
- Salt, freshly ground pepper
- 250 ml (1 cup) Madeira
- 1 Tbsp. butter
- 2 Tbsp. shallots, diced
- 250 ml (1 cup) veal stock (Andy Mayer's Veal Stock or homemade)
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 4 Tbsp. cold butter, diced
- Salt, freshly ground pepper
- 2 potatoes, medium size
- Oil for frying
- Few thyme twigs
- Add the potatoes to salted water with the thyme and cumin and bring to a boil. Cook until potatoes are tender and strain.
- Pass the potatoes through a ricer or food mill and let sit for approximately 10 minutes.
- In a large bowl, mix the crème fraîche with the butter and the egg yolks. Add the potatoes.
- Beat the egg whites and then add to the crème fraîche mixture. Season the mixture with salt, pepper, and nutmeg.
- Butter a 4-cm (1.5 inch) deep metal baking sheet and cover with a 0.5 cm (0.2 inch) layer of the potato mixture and place under a salamander (or broiler) until golden brown.
- Add another 0.5 cm layer of the potato mixture and place under a salamander until golden brown. Repeat and sprinkle the last layer with the Parmesan and place under the salamander until golden brown.
- Let cool and cut into desired form and shape. Just before serving, place in a pre-heated oven to heat and then briefly under the salamander.
- Grind the turkey with the cream and wine; season to taste with the spices.
- Season the veal chops on both sides with pepper and sear quickly.
- Add the meat drippings to the ground turkey mixture and place a layer of the mixture on the chops, and smooth the mixture with the back of a wet spoon.
- Roast in an oven for approximately 10 minutes.
- Mix the beans with the butter ; salt and pepper.
- Sauté the shallots in the butter with the Madeira, and reduce by half.
- Add the veal stock and simmer to reduce by half.
- Add the rosemary and garlic and let rest for 10 minutes.
- Pass through a sieve, and then add the cold butter, and season to taste.
- Slice the potatoes on a mandolin into thin disks. Dry with a kitchen towel and deep-fry in oil until golden brown.
- Fry the thyme in the same oil.
- Place 2 chops on the plate, crossed, with the bone facing up on a line of sauce.
- In front, place the bean cassoulet on another line of sauce.
- Behind, pile the garnish like a bush.
- Serve the potato cake separately.
More recipe ideas
©Copyright MSCOMM 1996 – 2021. Michèle Serre, Éditeur
Hints & Tips