Preparation time: 20 minutes
Baking time: 40 minutes
Freezing time: 30 minutes
- In a saucepan over high heat, bring the cream and milk to a boil.
- Remove from the heat, add the violets and stir. Let rest for a few minutes.
- In a bowl, beat the egg yolks and sugar together with a mixer until thick and pale; then mix in the still hot milk-cream mixture.
- Return to the heat and cook, stirring constantly, until the mixture has thickened enough to coat the back of a wooden spoon.
- Remove from the heat, let cool, pour into an ice cream maker and process for about 30 minutes.
- In a bowl, whisk together the eggs and sugar until light and thick.
- Add the flour and baking powder, then mix in the melted butter and the coarsely crushed violets.
- Pour the batter into well-buttered madeleine molds and bake in a preheated 180° C (350° F) oven for 7 minutes. Unmold and cool on a rack.
Serve the madeleines warm with the slightly softened ice cream, presenting them as in the photograph or as you wish.
Hints & Tips