Prep. time: 15 minutes
Oven temperature: 200° C (400° F)
Cooking time: 15-20 minutes
When using phyllo pastry, it is best to kept the sheets covered with a damp kitchen towel to keep them from drying out.
It is difficult to give an exact cooking time. But watch the salmon fingers carefully since the phyllo can turn from brown to black in no time!
Preparing the salmon
- Cook the salmon fillet in the oil or butter in a skillet for about two minutes on each side; the interior should still be rare since the salmon will continue to cook in the oven.
- Place the fillet on a work surface and spread with the wasabi; cut into strips about the size of a finger.
- Lay out a sheet of phyllo pastry flat and brush it with melted butter or oil; cover with another sheet of pastry and brush again; cut into thirds;
- place a strip of salmon on the edge of one of the pastry strips; fold over the two sides and roll up; repeat the process for the remaining pieces of salmon;
- brush each roll with a little oil or butter; sprinkle with sesame seeds;
- bake in a preheated 200° C (400° F) oven for a few minutes or until the pastry is nicely browned.
Making the sauce
- Peel the kiwis;
- place all the ingredients in a blender; purée; pour into a bowl and serve with the salmon.
With the collaboration of Zespri, New Zealand kiwifruit
Hints & Tips