Apple Jelly with Calvados Recipe
Total time: 30 to 60 minutes
Preparation time: 20 minutes
Cooking time: 40 minutes
- 1 kg (2 1/4 lb.) apples
- 500 ml (2 cups) water
- 2 cinnamon sticks
- 2 star anise
- sugar - half the weight of the liquid obtained
- 50 ml (3 Tbsp.) Calvados
- Chop the apples coarsely, leaving in the core and seeds.
- Place in a jam pot or other large saucepan with the water, cinnamon and star anise.
- Simmer for 20 minutes.
- Drain in cheesecloth or through a fine strainer. Press well with the back of a ladle to extract the most juice.
- Measure the liquid and pour into a clean pot. Add sugar to equal half the weight of the liquid obtained.
- Bring to a boil, reduce the heat and simmer for 20 minutes - it is important that the sugar is completely dissolved. Skim as needed.
- Remove from the heat and mix in the Calvados. Pour into warm sterilized jars.
- Seal the jars and invert. Once the jelly is cold, turn right side up.
- Store in the refrigerator.
More recipe ideas
Illustration based on a photo by Japanese photographer Soleil Yoko
Hints & Tips