Preparation time: 30 minutes
Cooling time: 1 hour+
Cooking time: 30 minutes
*Crispin apple (Mutsu)
A versatile dual-purpose apple, sharp but still pleasant to eat fresh. Known as Mutsu in its native Japan, Crispin looks like a large Golden Delicious with a lovely sweet honeyed flavour.
The black walnut is an Ontario native, prized for its timber as well as for nuts.
- Place sugar and butter into a small pan. Melt and dissolve sugar.
- Add the apple wedges off the heat and packing them snuggly into the pan. Cut remaining apples to fill any gaps.
- Cook the apple on a medium heat until deep brown in color.
- Place flour, butter and salt in a food processer. Process to coarse crumbs.
- Add the ice water and pulse until just coming together. Do not over work.
- Dust the pastry with flour, wrap with waxed paper and let rest in the fridge for one hour.
Fromage Blanc Ice Cream
- Combine milk, yolks, sugar, vanilla bean split, whisk to combine.
- Put over a low heat and stir until thickened.
- Combine Fromage Blanc and cream until thoroughly blended.
- Add cream mixture to the thickened milk. Cool in the fridge until you are ready to spin.
- Combine water and sugar, bring to a dark caramel.
- Pull off the heat and change to another bowl.
- Add chopped toasted walnuts and pour out onto a greased sheet pan.
- Let cool. When cool enough to handle, crush to a coarse powder.
- Preheat oven to 190 °C / 375 °F.
- Place the pastry over the apples tucking in the over hang into the caramel.
- Bake until golden brown.
- Let rest 5 minutes on a rack.
- Run a knife around the outside to loosen any stuck edges.
- Tip out onto a platter and serve each portion with ice topped with the praline.
Niagara Ice Wine
Hints & Tips