Preparation time: 15 minutes
Waiting time: 2 hours
Cooking time: About 1 minute or less per pancake
Blini are simply buckwheat pancakes. Russians cook them in heavy castiron frying pans engraved with circles that determine their size. The blini pan is a work of art in itself with its elaborate decoration, sometimes with a handle in painted wood.
Make thousand of mini Blinis. They make excellent hors d'oeuvre with smoked fish and sour cream, salmon lump....
Making the batter
- Combine 500 ml (2 cups) warm milk with the yeast; stir well to prevent lumps;
- combine the flours; add 750 ml (3 cups) flour to the milk; let the batter rest in a warm draft-free place or in a warm turned-off oven for 40 minutes;
- beat the egg yolks with the salt, mix them into the batter with the oil and add the rest of the flour little by little. The batter should be slightly elastic;
- gradually mix in the remaining warm milk; cover the batter and let rise until doubled in volume; stir and let rise again;
- beat the egg whites to stiff peaks; fold into the batter and let rest another 15-20 minutes.
- Butter the skillet well;
- ladle in some of the batter, turning the pan to create an even circle; cook for a few moments like an ordinary pancake; turn and cook the second side; transfer to a plate, keep warm and continue until all the batter is used up.
Vodka or champagne depending on the occasion Roederer Cristal in honor of the Czar Roederer Brut Premier (less expensive) or another dry champagne
Photo: mini blinis sold at Petrossian store
Hints & Tips