Cooking time: 20 minutes
These skewers are a classic Lebanese hot “mezze,” or appetizer.
Just before serving, separate the two layers of pita. Place the chicken on one piece and cover with the other disc: this way, the chicken stays hot while you serve it. Using pieces of pita, the guests pick up bites of chicken and dip them first into the garlic sauce, then into the onion mixture.
- Cut the chicken breasts into 3 cm (1 1/4”) cubes. Place in a deep dish.
- In a bowl, combine the lemon juice and seasonings; gradually whisk in the oil to make an emulsion. Pour this marinade over the chicken and marinate in the refrigerator for 6 hours.
- Thread the chicken pieces onto skewers.
- Grill over hot coals for 15 minutes.
- Keep hot until serving time, brushing the brochettes with butter.
Making the sauce
- Mash the garlic and salt in a mortar to make a smooth purée.
- Gradually blend in the olive oil, stirring constantly, to obtain a mayonnaise-like consistency.
Finishing and presentation
- Remove the stems from the flat-leaf parsley and chop the leaves.
- Combine the onion, sumac, parsley, salt and pepper. Place on a small plate and present on the table along with the garlic sauce.
Photo courtesy of the Lebanese Tourism Office
Hints & Tips