Chicken Pot au Feu Recipe
Total time: more than 2 hoursPreparation time: 20 minutes
Cooking time: 90 minutes
Confit tomatoes: 4 hours
Ingredients for 4 servings
- 1 whole Chicken
- 4 carrots
- 1 zucchini
- 4 young turnips
- 2 tomatoes
- 4 mini Fennel bulbs
- 4 mini Leeks
- 100 ml (6 tbsp.) olive oil
- Chervil, salt and pepper
- Leek greens
- Carrot, onion
- Thyme, bay leaf, garlic
- Remove the breasts and legs from the chicken.
- Crush the carcass and brown the pieces well in a Dutch oven; add the aromatic garnish.
- Cook gently for 30 minutes; add enough water just to cover.
- Once cooked, strain everything and set the broth aside.
- Peel the turnips and carrots.
Preparing the confit tomatoes
- Blanch the tomatoes for 10 seconds in boiling water; remove and refresh in ice water; they can now be peeled easily.
- Quarter and seed the tomatoes with a knife; place the tomato petals on a baking sheet with olive oil, salt, pepper, thyme and bay leaf.
- Place in a 90° C (200° F) oven for 4 hours to obtain confit tomatoes.
Cooking and finishing
- Cook the chicken pieces for about 15 minutes in the broth over low heat, seasoning them and adding the vegetables about half-way through.
- Before serving, remove the skin from the chicken; degrease the broth using a paper towel.
- Place the chicken in soup bowls;
- arrange the vegetables all around and add the broth; season with a grinding of fresh pepper.
Have a glass of red Bordeaux before or with the meal to benefit from its anti-oxidant properties. It doesn't contain any more calories than an apple. Suggestion: Smith-Haut-Lafitte red 1997 or les Hauts-de-Smith red1998.
More recipe ideas
Roasted Green Cabbage Paupiettes Stuffed with Pigeon Hearts and Truffle Purée, with a Savory Brown Sauce
Hints & Tips