Waiting time: 4 hours or overnight
Cooking time: 10 minutes
Especially in the small alpine villages, the week between Christmas and New Year’s Day is the time to visit neighbors and family. And all the delicious holiday pastries and cookies are on hand to continue the celebration.
- Place egg whites and salt into a clean 3 quart metal bowl and beat until stiff.
- Place nuts and sugar into a processor and pulse until nuts are finely ground, almost like flour.
- Fold the sweetened nut mixture into the egg whites. Dough will be sticky.
- Dust the counter with a bit of flour. Roll the dough out to about 6 mm / 1/4” thick.
- Cut out with a seasonal cookie cutter - a Christmas star is a perfect choice. Place them on a cookie sheet lined with parchment.
- Cover them and allow them to rest for four hours or even overnight.
- Preheat oven to 180°C / 350°F.
- Bake the cookies for 10 minutes or until lightly golden. Cool them on a rack.
Making the glaze
- Mix the sugar, cream, extract, and salt. Stir till smooth.
- Put in a zip type bag.
- Top each cookie with icing.
- Then place a whole walnut on top. Allow to dry.
Hints & Tips