Preheat the oven to 180° C (350° F)
Preparation and cooking time: Under an hour
I'm particularly fond of crêpe cake, a perfect dessert for a celebration, that can be served with coffee ice cream or a spoonful of bitter orange or rhubarb marmalade. Try this dessert and delight your guests!
- Bring the milk to a boil with the split vanilla beans (scrape the seeds into the milk). Keep warm.
- Combine the egg yolks, 75 g (5 tbsp.) sugar, flour and cornstarch without overmixing. Blend in the melted butter.
- Beat the egg whites to stiff peaks. Whisk in 135 g (3/4 cup) sugar, a few drops of lemon juice and a pinch of salt.
- Combine the vanilla-infused milk with the egg yolk mixture.
- Finish by folding the beaten egg whites into the batter, as for a soufflé.
Making the crêpes
- Preheat the oven to 180 °C (350 °F).
- First make a large 20 cm (8") crêpe. Butter the crêpe pan with a brush and pour in 300 g (10 oz.) of the batter, tapping the pan to spread the batter evenly.
- Place over the flame for about 15 seconds to brown lightly, then transfer to a 180° C (350° F) oven.
- After 3 minutes, remove and set on the counter, still in the pan.
- Butter a 16 cm (6") pan with a brush. Pour in 150 g (5 oz.) batter. Proceed in the same way: 15 seconds on the flame, then 3 minutes in the oven.
- Take the pan and turn the crêpe out onto a cake base. Repeat with 4 more crêpes, piling them one on the other.
- Finally turn the larger crêpe out onto the smaller ones to cover them.
- Cover with a clean damp cloth and use your hands to mold the cake into a nice shape. Keep warm on the oven door.
- Sprinkle the cake with icing sugar and cut into 8 portions. It should still be warm in the center.
Hints & Tips