Cooking time: None
The pita bread is usually toasted until crispy, then crumbed over the salad just before serving.
This salad can be made a little ahead of time, but the pita should be added at the last moment so that it stays crisp.
In Lebanon, fattoush is categorized with cold mezze. Wine vinegar, sumac and mint are used in the dressing.
In Syria, the emphasis is on the vegetables, with little lettuce used. Wine vinegar is replaced by lots of lemon juice.
- Prepare the vegetables; chop the herbs;
- mash the garlic and salt to a purée in a mortar;
- toast the pita bread in the oven until golden; break it up by hand into irregular pieces about 4 cm per side;
- place all the ingredients into a salad bowl and combine well;
- decorate with the pita pieces and serve cold.
Hints & Tips