Prep. time: 30 minutes
Rising time : 90 minutes
Baking time: 60 minutes
Oven temperature: 200°C / 400° F
Serve with butter or gravlax.
Since the Whole Spelt flour is low in gluten, it is best to combine this flour with a wheat or rye flour.
Can be frozen.
- Dissolve the yeast in the warm water. Let it stand for 5 minutes in a large bowl until the yeast bubbles.
- Toast the caraway and fennel seeds lightly for 2 minutes and then set aside.
- In a small pan warm the buttermilk and syrup.
- Stir the warmed buttermilk mix into the yeast (1). Add the peel, spices, salt and butter.
- Stir in the rye flour; stir well; then add the strong white flour, stir well. You may need more flour - or use less - depending on the type of flour you are using.
- Knead the dough until smooth and slightly elastic.
- Cover with a tea towel and leave to double in size. If the kitchen is drafty, place the covered bowl in a pan of hot water.
- Divide the dough and form into 2 or 3 round loaves; place on a large baking tray lined with baking paper and leave to rise again for 20-30 minutes.
- Prick the breads and bake in 200°C / 400°F for about 50-60 minutes. After 45 minutes brush the bread with the syrup and water mixture (mix the syrup into warm water) and continue to bake until the base of the breads seems cooked.
- Leave to cool on a wired rack.
Hints & Tips