Foie Gras Cubes with Passion Fruit Seeds, Earl Grey-Scented Consommé and Cornbread Bites Recipe
Flavors of Paris and the Ile-de-France
Total time: more than 2 hours
The duck consommé takes 3 hours, but it can be prepared in advance.
For 6 servings
- 550 g (1 lb. 3 oz.) duck foie gras
- 15 g (1 Tbsp.) salt and 2 g (1/2 tsp.) pepper per kg
- 20 ml (4 tsp.) cognac
- 20 ml (4 tsp.) Port
Passion fruit jelly
- 8 passion fruits
- 250 ml (1 cup) water
- 80 g (1/3 cup) sugar
- 3 sheets of gelatin
Duck consommé (reserve 300 ml / 1 1/4 cup)
- 2 duck breasts
- 2 duck legs
- 2 onions
- 1 leek
- thyme and bay leaf
- 1.5 liters (6 cups) water
- 1 Earl Grey tea bag
- 300 ml (1 1/4 cup) chicken stock
- 10 g (2 tsp.) salted butter
- 1 vanilla bean
- 3 g (1 tsp.) ginger
- Devein the foie gras lobe.
- Season with 15 g salt and 2 g pepper per kilogram. Marinate with the cognac and Port.
- Wrap in plastic wrap into a cylinder and cook sous vide. Cook for 15 minutes at 65° C / 150° F in a steam oven. Chill.
- Mold the foie gras in a frame, letting it extend slightly above the top. Weight down. Refrigerate.
Passion fruit jelly
- Combine the water and sugar in a small saucepan; heat to form a syrup.
- Remove the passion fruit seeds and combine them with the cold syrup.
- Add the gelatin (8 leaves per liter).
- Let set on a tray.
- Place the duck breasts and legs in a wide pot.
- Add the cold water; bring to a boil and skim the surface.
- Add the aromatic garnish and 4 blackened half onions. Cook for 3 hours.
- Strain through cheesecloth and reserve the duck breast meat.
- Infuse the tea bag for 1 minute.
- Shred the duck breast meat and set aside to dry.
- Put in a blender to grind into crumbs.
- Combine with fresh bread crumbs.
- Sweat the vanilla seeds and chopped ginger in salted butter.
- Add the chicken stock.
- Reduce to a syrupy consistency.
Finishing and presentation
- Trim the foie gras and glaze with the passion fruit jelly.
- Cut three cubes per person.
- Place on a plate with some cornbread "corks."
- Finish with a drizzle of vanilla sauce.
- Serve the duck consommé in a glass container with the shredded dried duck meat.
More recipe ideas
©Copyright MSCOMM 1996 – 2022. Michèle Serre, Éditeur
Hints & Tips