This recipe was kindly provided to us by the owners of the Motel-Restaurant de la Plage in Berthier-sur-Mer.
The quantity of eggs is up to you, but there's no need to up the cholesterol level! Using 2 eggs to 1 cup milk, the recipe is fluffier and less rich.
- In a bowl, whisk together the eggs and milk; add the sugar and nutmeg.
- Cut the baguette into slices about 2 fingers thick; cut each slice three-quarters of the way through horizontally like a book.
- Soak the bread slices in the milk mixture (1), turning to be sure both sides of the bread have thoroughly absorbed the mixture.
- In a large skillet, melt the butter; brown the bread slices on both sides over medium heat to cook the mixture without burning it - if you are making a large number of slices, keep the cooked French toast warm in a low oven.
- Open up the slices of French toast and fill them with pastry cream and berries.
- Serve the French toast on fieldberry yogurt or strawberry coulis.
Hints & Tips