Rising time: 3 hours
Baking time: Under 30 minutes
Oven temperature: 180° C (350° F)
Bakers in the French region of Franche-Comté prepare this cake throughout the year. It's a very butter yeast dough, covered with cream or a sweet topping. The cake is round and golden with a dark brown edge.
This simple cake was once prepared with bread dough and baked before the bread went in.
- To make the brioche dough, combine the flour, yeast, milk and water.
- Add the whole egg, salt, softened butter and sugar.
- Knead the dough until smooth; set aside to rise for 3 hours in a warm place.
- Spread the dough out very thinly on a baking sheet.
- Bake in a 200° C (400° F) oven for 20 minutes.
Hints & Tips