Prep. time : 20 minutes
Cooking time : 25 to 30 minutes
A traditional recipe that share Aristo Stavropoulos, Greek by birth and Quebecois by choice, which grew under an olive tree. In 2005, convinced that he had a high quality product, Aristo and his life partner Michèle created La Belle Excuse, a wonderful and delicious company devoted to fine gastronomy. What is La Belle Excuse? 6500 olive trees, 600 sales locations, 80 tons of olive oil per year, 15 pairs of hands to take care of the product, a family that pours its heart and soul into it and thousands of customers who make it all possible.
(1) Loukanikos are Greek sausages. My favorites are from New Milano in Montreal; they are prepared with high quality meats and flavored with orange zest.
(2) Mountain oregano (from the Greek words «oros» which means mountain and «ganos» which means joy) has multiple tonic, curative and aromatic properties. It is sold dry on stems, and can be found in specialty stores.
Preheat the BBQ on high.
- Mix all ingredients in a bowl.
- Place the chicken breasts and lamb chops in separate airtight plastic bags. Divide equally the marinade.
- Some fresh mint might be added to the lamb chops.
- Refrigerate for at least 20 minutes (can be prepared the day before).
Cooking on barbecue
Sear the meat at first and then reduce the heat to cook the chicken slowly to avoid the meat becoming too dry.
> Lamb chops
The exterior should be well browned, as the inside should be pink.
Simply grill on both sides.
- Place all grilled meats on a serving platter, and drizzle with lemon juice.
- Citrus fruit lovers will appreciate extra lemon wedges.
Extra virgin green olive oil
This Belle Excuse is from a variety of green olives called Koroneïki. At the end of November, as soon as they ripen, the olives are harvested and pressed the same day. These exceptional olives grown in beautiful Trifilia, area blessed by its climate and the richness of its soil, have a very distinctive flavour and an acidity level inferior to 0.3%. For 2 months, this unfiltered olive oil is left to decant naturally resulting in oil with no residues rendering it perfect for cooking. LA BELLE EXCUSE is proud to offer this very unique extra virgin green olive oil with clear and strong olive and greenery aromas to enhance the flavour of fish, grilled meats or vegetables, salads, pasta or any sauté.
Hints & Tips