Prep. time: 15 minutes
Cooking time: 10 + 20 minutes
Spanakopita is made with Kefalotiri cheese.
In Lebanon, a similar pastry is made using Labne, a creamy cheese. You could replace the Greek or Lebanese cheeses with Parmesan. Ricotta is also a good light option, though the texture won't be quite the same.
- Cook the spinach in boiling water or steam it; drain and squeeze out all the water;
- In a skillet, sauté the finely-chopped onion in butter; add the spinach and cook until quite dry;
- season the béchamel sauce with a pinch of nutmeg;
- add the eggs, cheese and spinach to the sauce;
- prepare the phyllo pastry by brushing each sheet with melted butter; layer half the sheets;
- line a rectangular baking dish with these sheets;
- spread the spinach filling over top;
- cover with the remaining phyllo (each sheet brushed with butter and layered one on top of the other);
- make a few cuts in the top of the pastry with a sharp knife;
- bake in a 180° C (350° F) oven for about 20 minutes until the pastry is nicely browned;
- cut into squares and serve hot.
Photo: Kronos Products - Phyllo pastry.
Hints & Tips