Preheat the oven at 180°C. (350°F.)
Prep. time: 15 minutes
Waiting time: 3 hours
Baking time: 10 minutes
- Cream together the butter and sugar; add all the other ingredients except the cloves and icing sugar; knead the dough by hand to achieve a fairly smooth texture;*
- make into small flattened balls or use a cookie cutter to form cookies about 6 mm thick;** place a clove in the centre of each cookie;
- place the cookies on a buttered baking sheet and bake at 180° C (350° F) for about 20 minutes;
- remove from the oven, let cool and sprinkle with icing sugar;
- arrange on a plate in stacked layers to form a mound.
*if the dough is too dense, add a few drops of brandy; if it is too soft, add a touch more flour
**refrigerate for thirty minutes before using a cookie cutter.
A sweet wine (e.g., from Samos) to stay with the Greek theme or a Maury, Banyuls or Roussillon
Hints & Tips