Prep. time: 15 minutes
Waiting time: 30-60 minutes for the batter to rest
Cooking time: A few minutes
What is a krumkake?
To make authentic krumkakes, you need a krumkake iron that imprints a delicate, festive scroll design on each cookie as it bakes. If you don't have one, you could also use a crêpe pan.
- Beat the eggs until light.
- Add the sugar, butter, cream, flour and cardamom in order. Beat well after each addition. Add the cardamom before the flour is thoroughly mixed in. Allow to stand for 30 minutes to one hour before using.
- Drop a spoonful of the mixture in the centre of the iron; close and cook for approximately one minute. Turn the iron over and cook for another minute or so.
- When the krumkake is golden brown, remove from the iron and, while still warm, roll into the shape of a scroll or cone while it is still flexible.
- Repeat the process with the rest of the batter.
Photo: Norwegian Cookware
Hints & Tips