Maltese Sauce (Sauce Maltaise) Recipe
Total time: less than 15 minutes
Sauce Maltaise is a classic French sauce - it is basically a hollandaise flavored with the zest and juice of blood oranges. It is an excellent accompaniment to asparagus.
For 250-500 ml (1-2 cups) sauce
- 500 g (18 oz.) butter
- 5 egg yolks
- 2 blood Oranges
- 4 tbsp. water
- 2 tbsp. vinegar
- A pinch of grated orange zest
- A pinch of cracked pepper
- A pinch of fine salt
- Place the 4 tbsp. water, 2 tbsp. vinegar, a pinch each of cracked pepper and fine salt in a saucepan and reduce by two-thirds.
- Place the saucepan over a double boiler; add 1 tbsp. water and 5 egg yolks; gradually whisk in 500 g (18 oz.) butter, a little at a time, interspersing it with 3 - 4 tbsp. more water, to make a light sauce.
- Once the sauce is nicely thickened, blend in the juice of 2 blood oranges with a big pinch of grated zest.
More recipe ideas
©Copyright MSCOMM 1996 – 2023. Michèle Serre, Éditeur
Hints & Tips