Prep. time: 15 minutes
Cooking time: 45 minutes (version using a couscous maker)
Masfouf refers in Tunisia and Algeria to a dessert made with very fine couscous and fresh or dried fruits, dates or nuts. This sweet couscous is also found in Morocco, where it is called seffa.
Tunisian masfouf is usually eaten during the month of Ramadan at the time of "shour," often served with a glass of milk or "iben." It is nourishing, refreshing and full of vitamins. The grains of couscous or semolina are generously buttered, although there are also versions that use olive oil. Other families prefer to moisten it with milk.
As for flavors, they are left to everyone's taste and preference: orange flower, gernaium, rose or even jasmine water.
If you use raisins, plump them first in hot water. If you choose the version using a couscous maker, you can steam the raisins at the same time as the semolina.
Don't confuse semolina with couscous. The couscous sold in supermarkets is precooked semolina and the cooking method is different.
Quick version (using precooked couscous or semolina)
- Pour the semolina into a large bowl.
- Add the hot water and a drizzle of olive oil; cover and let swell for 15 minutes, stirring occasionally.
Version using a couscous maker (fine semolina)
- Pour the semolina into a bowl. Moisten with water or oil. Rub thoroughly between your hands.
- Put the semolina into the top part of a couscous maker. Fill the bottom part with boiling water.
- Place the couscous maker over the heat. Once steam begins to escape, in about 15 minutes, remove the couscous maker from the heat.
- Pour a cup of boiling water over the semolina. Fluff the grains with a fork to prevent lumps.
- Continue cooking 15 minutes longer until the steam escapes again.
- Repeat steps 4 and 5. The total cooking time is 45 minutes.
Garnishing and finishing
- Meanwhile, pit and chop the dates. Place in a bowl.
- Add the pomegranate seeds, grapes, pistachios and almonds.
- Once the semolina is cooked, quickly mix in the butter so that it melts and coats the grains.
- Add the sugar, flower water, mixed fruits and nuts. Combine well and serve.
Photo : ID : 24971241 / Alexander Mychko
Hints & Tips