Aniseed and honey Pestinos from Estremadura Recipe
Flavors of Extremadura
Total time: 30 to 60 minutes
- 1 kg / 2 pounds flour
- 250 ml / 1 cup water
- 500 ml / 2 cups olive oil
- a few bay leaves
- zest of half an orange
- honey diluted in water
- Bring the water to a boil with the bay leaves, a pinch of aniseed and the orange zest.
- Heat the oil in a skillet and add a little aniseed. Infuse off the heat for a few minutes.
- Strain the water and oil and pour them into a large bowl.
- Mix in the flour to form a smooth supple dough.
- Roll the dough out very thinly. Cut into rectangles; fold the corners over into the centre; press to seal to prevent the pestinos from opening up when cooked.
- Fry in a good quantity of hot oil. Drain.
- Immediately dip the pestinos into the honey dissolved in a little water.
More recipe ideas
Hints & Tips