Prep. time: 30 minutes
Cooking time: None
Waiting time: Allow to marinate for about 5 days before use.
You may be tempted to use a food processor, but I would suggest you don’t. The food processor may overwork the vegetables and you won’t get that unique size/shape pikliz is supposed to have. Cut by hand or with a mandolin.
Since we used vinegar as the base, it will act as a preservative. If you do store it in the fridge it can last for months. But be aware that some of the heat will be lost the longer it stays in the fridge.
- Slice the cabbage, bell pepper and onion very thinly; finely chop the shallots.
- Slice the scotch bonnet peppers lengthwise. Tip: wear gloves to prevent irritating your hands.
- Grate the carrot and finely chop the garlic.
- Place all the ingredients from steps 1-3 in a large bowl with the salt, peppercorns, cloves and lime juice. Mix well.
- Pack the ingredients into a fairly large glass jar.
- Cover with vinegar; cover and set aside to marinate in a cool place.
Photo: Caribbean Pot
Hints & Tips