Rack of Pork with Three Mushrooms, New Potatoes and Sorrel Cream Recipe
Flavors of France
Cooking time: 1 1/2 hours
Total time: 1hr to 2hrPreparation time: 15 minutes
Cooking time: 1 1/2 hours
An original recipe from Gérard Besson, Restaurant Gérard Besson, Paris
"My career was inspired by the wonderful wealth of products that my native region of Bresse provides. Mushrooms abound in the forests and fields where I spent my youth.
"They're found in this recipe: its secret is in the harmony of its ingredients."
Ingredients for 4 servings
- 1.2 kg (2 lb. 10 oz.) rack of Pork
- 1 sprig of thyme
- 5 unpeeled cloves of garlic
- 50 ml (3 tbsp.) olive oil
- 250 g (8 oz.) Shiitake mushrooms
- 250 g (8 oz.) Fairy Ring Mushroom mushrooms (St. Georges)
- 250 g (8 oz.) Girolles
- 2 shallots, chopped
- 1 bunch of sorrel
- 300 g (10 oz.) tiny Noirmoutier potatoes
- or new potatoes
- 150 g (10 tbsp.) butter
- 100 ml (6 tbsp.) crème fraîche
- Salt and freshly ground pepper
- season the pork rack with salt, pepper, olive oil, 4 cloves of garlic and thyme;
- place the pork in a heavy Dutch oven or cocotte and cook in a 160° C (325° F) oven for 1 hour 15 minutes, basting it regularly;
- meanwhile, wash and clean the mushrooms; sauté them separately; season with salt; first the shiitakes, then the St. Georges mushrooms, then the chanterelles.
- finish the cooking with the chopped shallot sautéed in butter;
- combine the St. Georges mushrooms and shiitakes; keep the chanterelles separate; keep hot;
- in a heavy saucepan, sauté the potatoes in a little oil with an unpeeled clove of garlic; season with salt and pepper; it's simple if you watch them carefully - they should be golden but not dried out;
- remove the stems from the sorrel and wash the leaves; cook quickly in butter in a sauté pan until the sorrel's water has evaporated; salt lightly, add the cream and cook for about 5 minutes;
- return the pork to a hot oven for 10 minutes;
- slice the pork fairly thickly (2 cm / 3/4") so that its flavor comes through;
- surround the meat with the chanterelles and the mixture of shiitakes and St. Georges mushrooms;
- add the potatoes and sorrel cream. Give a grinding of fresh pepper just before serving.
This dish can be served with either a red or white wine. For a red, choose a perfumed and full-bodied Minervois such as Château Villerambert 95 made from Syrah, Grenache and Carignan grapes. An aromatic white such as St. Joseph 96 from Pierre Gonon (80%Marsane, 20% Roussane) will pair well with the three mushrooms and would balance the sour note of the sorrel.
More recipe ideas
Hints & Tips