Preparation time: 10 minutes
Cooking time: 50 minutes
A recipe from Josée Fiset, co-founder of Boulangerie Première Moisson
"To celebrate Valentine's Day with a splash, I created a red vegetable soup that reveals the beet in all its splendor.
"I like hearty soups, particularly in winter. If you prefer thinner soups, add a little more stock.
"Keep ginger root in the freezer. That way, it will be easier to grate, and there's no need to peel it."
- Peel and coarsely chop the vegetables.
- Sauté the onion in olive oil over high heat for 3-4 minutes.
- Add the broth, beets and cabbage and simmer for 40-50 minutes over medium heat.
- Purée the soup with an immersion blender. Let rest 2 minutes. Skim if necessary.
- Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Serve with the plain yogurt.
Recipes and photos courtesy of Vitalité Québec magazine, February 2011 edition, and Première Moisson
Photo - Artistic direction: Johanne Bouchard
Stylist and accessorist: Jacques Faucher
Hints & Tips