Prep.: 40 minutes
Cooking time: 5 minutes
- For creamier risotto, add 50 g mascarpone before serving.
- You can also substitute porcini mushrooms for the artichokes.
Tip from Casa Azzurra
Grana Padano AOP has a flavor that is both intense and delicate. It is a cooked pressed curd cheese similar to Parmigiano Reggiano in shape and taste. It takes its name from its granular texture. You could substitute Parmigiano Reggiano, which is a close relative.
- Turn (trim) the artichokes.
- In a pot of boiling water, cook the artichokes for 10 minutes with 1 halved lemon. Drain and cut into quarters.
- In a little olive oil in a hot skillet, grill the artichokes for 5 minutes. Season and set aside.
- In a saucepan, heat the chicken broth with the saffron threads.
- In a large pan, melt the butter and sweat the onions with a pinch of salt, without allowing them to brown.
- Add the rice and stir with the onions until pearly. Add the wine. Once it has evaporated, add enough broth just to cover and cook for about 20 minutes, adding more broth regularly. The rice should be tender.
- At the end of the cooking, add the grated Grana Padano, 30 g cold butter and the artichokes. Combine well.
- Cover and let rest 2 minutes. Spoon onto plates and serve immediately.
Photo and recipe in collaboration with Casa Azzura, Italian distributor of Grana Padano cheese
Hints & Tips