Prep. time: 30 minutes
Baking time: 35 minutes
The little extra: you can replace the vanilla bean with 1/4 tsp. vanilla powder or extract and add it to the yolk-sugar mixture before the cornstarch.
You could also substitute another flavoring - for instance, rum and orange flower water pair very well together.
- Plump the raisins in the boiling water for 15 minutes, then drain. Transfer to a bowl and macerate in the rum.
- Place the milk and cream in a saucepan. Heat with the split, scraped vanilla bean.
- Beat the egg, the yolk and the sugar in a bowl with an electric mixer until pale and light.
- Mix in the cornstarch, then stir in the milk-cream mixture. Remove the vanilla bean.
- Return the mixture to the saucepan and cook over low heat until thickened, stirring with a wooden spoon.
- Off the heat, mix in the butter and when the cream is warm, add the drained raisins and 1 tsp. of the macerating rum. Cool.
- Preheat the oven to 240° C (475° F).
- Divide the pastry into two equal parts and roll out into two discs, one 26 cm (10") and the other 28 cm (11") in diameter.
- Place the smaller one on a parchment-lined baking sheet. Top with the cooled pastry cream, spreading over the disc but leaving a 2 cm (3/4") border uncovered all around.
- Place a bean into the filling and brush the border with water.
- Place the second disc on top and seal the edges well by pressing all around the circumference.
Glazing and baking
- Beat the egg with the water and brush over the top of the galette.
- Trace some designs on the top using the tip of a knife.
- Bake in the preheated oven for 10 minutes, then reduce the temperature to 200° C (400° F) and cook 25 minutes longer until puffed and nicely browned..
Recipe by Cedus
Hints & Tips