Cooking time: 10 minutes
Since no more than 3 or 4 fritters can be cooked at a time, Dutch cooks turn their ovens on to low and place a cookie sheet lined with two layers of paper towels in the oven. After each batch is cooked, the fritters are placed in the oven to keep warm, where they stay crisp and less oily.
- Peel and core the apples; slice them into rounds;
- place on parchment paper; sprinkle both sides with sugar and cinnamon and let rest 15 minutes;
- combine the flour and beer until smooth;
- heat the oil in a deep fryer or deep heavy pot;
- dip each apple slice in the batter; drop into the hot oil;
- remove when the fritters are nicely browned on each side, about 10 minutes; drain;
- place on paper towels; dust with icing sugar before serving.
Hints & Tips