Preheat oven at 180°C / 350°F
Prep. time: 15 minutes
Cooking time: 30 minutes
February 5 is the birthday of Johan Ludvig Runeberg (1804-1877), Finland's national poet.
On that day all the flags come out to celebrate the writer of the country's national anthem. But Runeberg is also attributed with the creation of a little almond cake topped with raspberry jam and pink icing... even though the footnotes of history give credit instead to his wife. Whatever the case, Runeberg muffins are so good that they have become part of Finnish tradition. They are always made around the time of the poet's birthday, but you'll find similar cupcakes available throughout the year.
- Beat the egg and sugar together until light and foamy.
- Add the light cream, ground almonds and cake crumbs, then the melted butter; mix well.
- Blend in the flour and finally the baking powder.
- Pour the batter into prepared muffin tins and bake in a preheated 225° C (450° F) oven for about 15 minutes.
- Let cool. Top each muffin with a dollop of jelly.
- Combine the icing sugar with a little water or lemon juice to make the icing. Add a few drops of food coloring to obtain a "candy pink" color. Surround the jelly with pink icing.
Hints & Tips