Prep. time: 15 minutes
Cooking time: Approx. 45 minutes
It's time for a new twist on chicken pot pie, the ultimate comfort food! Holding a warm plateful in your hands, smelling the delicious aromas waft up from the first forkful: it's a simple winter pleasure that you can customize to make all the more enticing.
- Peel and cube the sweet potatoes.
- In a large saucepan over medium heat, melt the butter. Stir in the flour and cook, stirring constantly, about 2 minutes.
- Slowly whisk in the stock until you have a smooth sauce.
- Bring to a boil and add the sweet potatoes, chicken, green onions, peas, thyme, salt and pepper. Cook over low heat, stirring frequently until the sweet potatoes are tender, about 10 minutes. Remove from heat and let cool for 5 minutes.
- Divide between 4 medium-sized ovenproof bowls.
- Preheat oven to 200°C / 400ºF.
- Cut 4 circles from puff pastry, each large enough to cover the top of bowls.
- Brush the rims of bowls with water and place a pastry round on top of each, pressing edges tightly to seal.
- Brush the tops of the pastry with egg wash.
- Place the prepared bowls on a baking sheet. Bake 20 minutes or until puffed and golden-brown. Let rest 5 minutes before serving.
Recipe and photo created by the American Sweet Potato Marketing Institute
Chef's Note: MSCOMM
Hints & Tips