Celeriac Croquettes with Vacherin Fribourgeois Recipe
Flavors of Fribourg
Total time: 30 to 60 minutes
Cuchaules are sweet saffron rolls, a specialty of Fribourg.
- 400 g celeriac
- Juice of 1 lemon
- 400 g aged Vacherin Fribourgeois cheese
- 2 eggs
- Fine bread or cuchaule crumbs
- 200 g mixed wild mushrooms
- 5 g peanut oil
- 5 g butter
- 5 g chopped shallot
- 5 g chives
- 10 g walnut oil
- 5 g almond oil
- 5 g grape seed oil
- 10 g white balsamic vinegar
- 20 g cooked thin green beans
- cooked dice blue potatoes
- squash balls
- Peel the celery root (celeriac) and rub with lemon juice. Using a slicer, cut into 1-2 mm thick slices crosswise, preferably near the middle of the celeriac. Place the slices into cold water to which some lemon juice has been added to prevent them from turning brown.
- Using a round 4 cm cutter, cut 32 circles from the celeriac slices, blanch them in water with some lemon juice, refresh in ice water, drain and transfer to a towel.
- Trim the rind from the cheese and cut into thin 2 mm slices. Using the same 4 cm cutter, cut out 24 circles of Vacherin Fribourgeois, each 10 to 15 g.
- Place circles of blanched celeriac on a baking sheet in two rows of 4. Top with a round of Vacherin Fribourgeois AOP.
- Repeat twice, ending with a slice of celeriac.
- Cover with plastic wrap and place in the freezer to harden.
- Remove from the freezer.
- Coat each stack with flour, then dip in egg beaten with a little water. Season with salt, dip in the egg. Drain the excess and coat with the fine bread or cuchaule crumbs.
- Press into the breadcrumbs well so that they are evenly coated and return to the freezer.
- Before frying, bread again, pressing well.
- Heat the peanut oil to 170°C. Add the celeriac croquettes to the oil and fry gently. Drain on a paper towel-lined plate.
- Heat in the oven before serving so they are evenly heated.
- Heat a skillet and add the oil.
- Saute the mushrooms quickly.
- Add a knob of butter, season with salt and pepper and drain in a strainer.
- Combine the various oils with the vinegar and season with salt and pepper.
- Cut the cooked green beans into diamond shapes. Dress with the vinaigrette.
- Arrange a few sautéed mushroom in the centre of each plate.
- Place the green beans on top, add a few diced blue potatoes and squash balls. Among the mushrooms, place the croquettes, surround with a few arugula leaves and dress with vinaigrette.
More recipe ideas
Photo: In collaboration with Vacherin Fribourgeois AOC
©Copyright MSCOMM 1996 – 2022. Michèle Serre, Éditeur
Hints & Tips