Preparation time: 15 minutes
Cooking time: 10 minutes
Prepare the chicken stock using commercial powdered stock or with a chicken carcass, 2 liters (8 cups) water, 1 onion and a 2 cm (3/4") piece of fresh ginger, halved lengthwise. Cook at least 1 hour.
You could make a bigger batch of stock and freeze it.
For a more economical recipe, replace the prawns with shrimps.
- Heat the chicken stock.
- Peel the prawns, leaving the tail on.
- Peel and crush the garlic.
- Halve, seed and thinly slice the peppers.
- Add the peppers, garlic, peas and chili paste to the stock.
- Cook for 4 minutes; add the prawns, nuoc mam and baby corn and cook 5 minutes longer over medium heat.
- Prepare the soy vermicelli according to the package directions.
- Into each bowl, place some soy vermicelli and ladle on some of the soup. Add a little lemon juice and some cilantro leaves and serve immediately.
Recipe and image in cooperation with Suzi Wan. Under this brand you'll find soy vermicelli, nuoc mam and chili paste.
Hints & Tips