Prep. time: 10 minutes
Cooking time: 2 hours
Waiting time: 48 hours
Watermelons are grown in the central and southern regions of Morocco. Every mother and grandmother in Spanish Morocco has this recipe in her repertoire, an old favourite passed from mother to daughter. It makes a wonderful accompaniment to chicken tagine.
- Choose a watermelon with a thick rind. Wash the rind under running water.
- Coarsely peel the rind using a sharp knife, retaining only the white part. Cut it into cubes.
- Drop the rind into boiling water and cook for 20 minutes; drain.
- In a large jam pot, dissolve the sugar in 3 cups of water over low heat to form a syrup.
- Immerse the watermelon rind pieces in the syrup; add the lemon juice and orange flower water and cook for 1 hour over low heat, stirring occasionally, until the jam has the look of a jelly.
- Check the jam: the syrup should be thick and the watermelon rind tender. Remove from the heat and store in a dry place. .
Photo : ID 63556894 / minadezhda / MSCOMM
Hints & Tips