West Indian Chicken Curry with Coconut Recipe
Total time: 1hr to 2hrPreparation time: 15 minutes
Cooking time: About 1 hour
This is an economical recipe, but you can vary it by using chicken breasts or thighs if you prefer.
Ingredients for 4 servings
- 1 kg (2 1/4 lb.) Chicken drumsticks
- 1 onion, thinly sliced
- 2 stalks of celery, finely chopped
- 2 tomatoes, diced
- 250 ml (1 cup) chicken stock
- 120 ml (1/2 cup) white wine
- 2 tbsp. flour
- 2 tbsp. Curry powder
- 30 g (2 tbsp.) raisins
- 50 ml (3 tbsp.) rum
- 1 apple
- 1 banana, sliced into rounds
- 50 g (2 oz.) grated Coconut
- 120 ml (1/2 cup) crème fraîche or heavy cream
- Juice of 1/4 lime
- Soak the raisins in the rum, adding a little water if necessary. Sauté the chicken in a skillet with the oil. Add the onion, celery, tomatoes and flour. Combine well.
- Add the chicken stock and white wine. Season with salt and the curry powder. Simmer 20 minutes.
- Add the raisins and apple (diced, but skin left on). Simmer 30 minutes longer.
- Just before serving add the banana, coconut, crème fraîche and lime juice.
- Correct the seasoning and serve hot.
More recipe ideas
Hints & Tips