Preparation time: 15 minutes
Cooking time: 1 h 45 min.
Situated in the heart of the medina in the Kasbah neighborhood, one of the most authentic of the city, the Riad Marrakech is ideally located for enjoying the magic of Marrakech, not far from the Saad tombs and the Jamâa el Fna square, as well as the famous souks. It is on this sunny terrace that Myriem served us this chicken and olive dish garnished with Askaoune saffron. This high-quality saffron is in the process of receiving international certification and will be the first saffron to bear a designation of origin in Morocco. In the shop, you can buy it according to the year it was picked, like a vintage wine.
You could substitute confit lemon for the fresh lemon.
- Cut the chicken into pieces. Peel and slice the onions. Infuse the saffron in 150 ml hot water.
- In a cocotte or tagine, heat the olive oil and brown the chicken pieces for a few minutes.
- Add the sliced onions, crushed garlic, saffron-infused water, ginger, pepper, lemon zest and salt.
- Mix well, cover and simmer over low heat for 1 to 1 1/2 hours.
- Peel and cut the potatoes into cubes; add to the tagine with the olives and lemon juice. Mix again and simmer 15 minutes longer.
- Just before serving, sprinkle with the fresh chopped cilantro.
Hints & Tips