Preparation time: 15 minutes
Cooking time: 75 minutes
Cooked in this way, the chicken is very moist and flavorful, perfectly, but not overly, salted.
Serve the chicken with cooked vegetables or a mixed salad.
- Preheat the oven to 210° C (425° F).
- Salt the cavity of the chicken as usual, add the whole garlic cloves and 2 sprigs of fresh thyme. Truss or tie up the chicken.
- Place the flour in a bowl with the coarse and fine Guerande salt. Add the lightly beaten egg whites and 400 ml (1 1/2 cups) water. Mix well.
- Knead the dough until smooth. Roll out to a 1 cm (3/8") thickness.
Finishing and cooking
- Place the chicken in the center and divide the remaining thyme sprigs over top. Wrap up in the dough.
- Place into a shallow baking dish and put into the oven. Cook for 75 minutes.
- Remove the dish from the oven. Let rest 10 minutes before breaking the salt crust.
Collaboration: Le Guérandais / Canetti Conseil
Hints & Tips