- Preparation time the day before: 1 hour
- Preparation time on the day: 30 minutes
Tip: Warn your guests that they have to pick up the whole cromesquis with their fingers, close their mouths and press them against their palate with the tongue instead of biting them. Distracted or indisciplined guests will undoubtedly stain their ties or blouses!
Cromesquis are a pleasure for all the senses: sight, touch, smell, hearing and taste.
The day before
- Place half the Port in a saucepan over high heat and reduce by half. Add the rest of the Port and reduce by half again.
- Add the cream and bring to a simmer over low heat.
- Meanwhile, soak the gelatin leaves in a bowl of cold water for 4-5 minutes until softened, then drain well.
- Once the cream has come to a simmer, transfer to a dish and whisk in the puréed foie gras and softened gelatin.
- Correct the seasoning and set aside in the refrigerator.
- Prepare a shallow pan about 15 x 20 cm (6 x 8"), line with plastic wrap, following the shape of the pan. Fill with half the Villeroy sauce to a depth of 5 mm (1/4"). Refrigerate for about 20 minutes until lightly set.
- Remove the pan from the refrigerator and sprinkle with the chopped truffles and cubes of foie gras. Refrigerate until the next day.
The day of serving
- Turn the pan with the sauce (now quite firm) out onto a board.
- Using a knife whose blade has been warmed in hot water, cut into 1.5 cm (1/2" cubes). These are the cromesquis.
- Roll the cubes in flour to coat well - shake the excess off lightly, and drip into beaten egg. Drain and roll in the bread crumbs. Repeat to obtain a double breading.
- Refrigerate until serving time.
At the last minute
- Heat the oil in a pan over high heat.
- Meanwhile, remove the cromesquis from the refrigerator and roll again in fine bread crumbs.
- Once the oil is hot, drop the cromesquis, two at a time, into the oil and fry for 2-3 minutes.
- Drain on a cloth or paper towel and keep warm on the oven door.
- Fold napkins into a wallet shape, place the cromesquis inside and serve immediately.
Hints & Tips