Prep. time: 15 minutes
Marinating time: 4 hours
Cooking time: 10 minutes
*Mixed Vietnamese-style vegetables are available frozen or in cans. You can also replace them with fresh ingredients: bean sprouts, black mushrooms, carrots and red peppers. The bright colors of this vegetable medley entice the eye, while the flavors pair perfectly with the sweet notes of the honey and peanut butter.
Prepare the first part of the recipe the night before and let marinate overnight. The dish can be finished very quickly the next day.
- Peel and crush two cloves of garlic; peel the ginger and grate it.
- Cut the chicken into cubes about 25 g (1 oz.) each.
- In a bowl, combine the peanut butter, honey, soy sauce, garlic, ginger, curry powder, coconut milk and cilantro. Mix in the chicken pieces. Marinate for at least 4 hours.
- Drain the vegetables and rinse them; crush the remaining 2 cloves of garlic.
- Thread the chicken pieces onto wooden skewers.
- In a wok or large skillet, heat 2 tbsp. oil and sauté the garlic for 1 minute over high heat; add the vegetables, chili paste and nuoc mam. Mix well and cook over low heat for 5 minutes.
- In a lightly-oiled pan, sauté the chicken skewers for about 5 minutes over high heat, turning halfway through.
- Arrange the vegetables on plates.
- Place the chicken skewers on top of the vegetables.
- Serve with white rice or noodles if desired.
Photo and collaboration: Suzi Wan
Hints & Tips