Prep. time: 35 minutes
Rising time: 90 minutes
Cooking time: 25 minutes
After the Christmas meal, it is traditional for children to receive, before Santa's presents, small parcels containing an orange, a bar of chocolate and a sugar bun.
To make a wreath of buns, place the balls of dough in a circle about 1 cm apart. Bake as directed, adding about 5 minutes to the baking time.
- Combine the flour, sugar and salt; form a well.
- Dissolve the yeast and saffron in a little milk and pour into the well with the remaining milk, egg and butter.
- Add the zests, raisins and pistachios.
- Knead well to form a soft pliable dough.
- Cover and let rise at room temperature until doubled in volume.
- Divide the dough into 10 pieces and form into buns. Place on a parchment-lined baking sheet, leaving room between. Let rise again for 15-20 minutes.
- Brush the buns with beaten egg, sprinkle with pearl sugar and bake in a preheated 180° C / 350° F oven for 20-25 minutes.
Hints & Tips