Cooking time: None
Refrigeration time: 3 hours
Nem (spring roll) sauce and nuoc mam (fish sauce) are essential for this hors d'oeuvre: they harmoniously bring together the creamy richness of the avocado with the subtle flavor of the shrimp.
The chili paste is hot and powerful and serves as a counterpoint to the fresh, cool character of this refined dish.
You can flavor the recipe by adding curry powder or sprinkling a little on top of the flan.
- Line 4 small ramekins with plastic wrap.
- Peel the shrimp, reserving 4 for garnish.
- Cut half of the remaining shrimp into longwise strips and place them on the sides of the ramekins. Cut the rest into small pieces.
- Soak the gelatin leaves in a little cold water. Once softened, drain them and melt in the lime juice over low heat.
- Cut the avocados in half, remove the pit and mash the flesh with the lime juice and nuoc mam. Mix in the chili paste and chopped shrimp.
- Pour the mixture into the prepared ramekins; smooth the surface and refrigerate for at least 3 hours.
- Rinse and drain the bean sprouts.
- Unmold the flans onto serving plates; remove the plastic wrap.
- Decorate with the reserved shrimp and cilantro leaves.
- Serve with bean sprouts on the side, dressed with nem sauce.
Photo and collaboration: Suzi Wan - Basic Chinese ingredients available in supermarkets,
including nem sauce, nuoc nam and chili paste.
Hints & Tips