Cheese, Escarole and Walnut Pie Recipe
Flavors of Flanders
Total time: 15 to 30 minutes
Cooking time: 20 minutes
- 150 g chopped walnuts + 6 halves for garnish
- 1 head of escarole
- 200 g fresh cheese (fromage blanc)
- 200 g blue cheese (e.g., Pas de Bleu from Western Flanders to be authentic)
- 1 egg
- 1 ready-to-use pie crust
- Preheat the oven to 180° C (350° F).
- Toast the chopped walnuts in a skillet.
- Line a pie plate with the pie pastry and bake blind for about 10 minutes. We recommend covering the pastry with parchment paper and pie weights (e.g. dried beans) to keep it from puffing up. Let cool.
- Wash and chop the escarole.
- Mix together the two cheeses. Add the cheeses and toasted walnuts to the escarole. Beat the egg and blend into the cheese mixture.
- Pour the filling into the crust and garnish with the reserved walnut halves. Bake about 20 minutes, checking for doneness with the tip of a knife, as you would for a cake. Don't overcook.
- Cut the pie into quarters and serve hot.
More recipe ideas
©Copyright MSCOMM 1996 – 2022. Michèle Serre, Éditeur
Hints & Tips