Prep. time: 15 minutes
Cooking time: 30 minutes
Use U.S. brown basmati rice for additional fibre.
Replace drumsticks with chicken thighs if desired.
- Preheat oven to 425°F / 220°C.
- Heat chutney in a microwave on high for 40 seconds or until melted. Stir in mustard, honey, lemon juice and curry paste.
- Toss drumsticks with half of the sauce mixture, ¼ Tsp. salt and the pepper.
- Arrange drumsticks on a nonstick foil or parchment paper lined, rimmed baking sheet. Roast for 15 minutes.
- Baste with sauce. Roast, basting and turning often, for 10 to 15 additional minutes or until sauce is caramelized and chicken is cooked through.
- In a large pot, melt the butter. Add rice and cook until lightly colored and all the grains are well coated. Add turmeric and 1/2 Tsp. salt. Mix.
- Add broth. Bring to a boil over medium-high heat. Cover and reduce heat to low. Cook for 12 minutes.
- Uncover and stir in peas, carrot, green onions and butter. Cook, covered, for an additional 3 minutes.
- Remove from heat; let stand for 5 minutes. Fluff rice with a fork.
Serve drumsticks with rice pilaf and sprinkle with extra green onions (if desired).
512 calories, 14 g fat, 5 g saturated fat, 131 mg cholesterol, 595 mg sodium, 55 g carbohydrates, 2 g fibre, 14 g sugars, 42 g protein. % RDI: 2% calcium, 20% iron, 15% vitamin A, 35% vitamin C.
Photo and collaboration: USA Rice Federation
Hints & Tips