Prep. time: 30 minutes
Raising time: 90 minutes
Baking time: 25-30 minutes
When you bake the buns, try brushing them with a mixture of melted butter and rum in the end, to give them better taste and aroma and to ensure they stay tender a long time.
- Warm the milk - approx. at 30°C.
- Mix the yeast with a bit of sugar and 100 ml / 2/5 cup lukewarm milk and put the mixture on a warm place to let the yeast ferment.
- Melt the butter in the rest of the lukewarm milk.
- Put the flour with a pinch of salt into a bowl, add the remaining sugar, egg yolks, some grated vanilla and some grated lemon zest. Pour in the warm milk with melted butter, egg yolks and the fermented yeast mixture.
- Knead until having smooth dough, sprinkle with some flour and let rise until doubled in bulk - approx. 1 hour.
In the meantime, prepare the filling
- Beat the quark with sugar and egg yolks until smooth.
- Soak raisins in rum, sieve and blend in the mixture.
Making the buns
- When the dough is ready, put it on floured pastry board. Roll the dough to a 1/2 cm / 1/4 inch thick layer and divide it into equal square pieces.
- Place a tablespoon of filling onto the centre of each square piece.
- Bend the edges over the filling, press together using your fingers and make a roll.
- Grease the buns with melted butter and place them into a greased baking pan, one beside the other. Finally, brush some more melted butter over the top of all of them.
- Let rise for another 30 minutes.
- Bake in a preheated oven at 180°C / 350°F for about 25-30 minutes, until they golden brown.
- Sprinkle with powdered sugar before serving.
A plum brandy
Buchteln photo with quark filling: MSCOMM / ID 71303080 / alein
Hints & Tips