Rice pilaf with California prunes and yogurt chicken brochettes Recipe
Total time: 30 to 60 minutes
Cooking time: Around 30 minutes
For 4 servings
- 2 large chicken breasts, skinned and cut into bite-sized pieces
- 125 ml / 1/2 cup plain yogurt
- 1 Tbsp. curcuma
- 1/2 c. Tsp. chili powder
- lemon juice
- 4 metal skewers, at least 20 cm / 8 inches long
- 2 Tbsp. butter
- 1 medium onion, peeled and finely chopped
- 1 Tsp. ground coriander
- 1 Tsp. ground cumin
- 250 ml / 1 cup basmati rice
- 500 ml / 2 cups chicken broth
- 6 California prunes roughly chopped
- 185 ml / 3/4 cup shelled pistachios roughly chopped
- 2 Tbsp. fresh coriander, finely chopped
- 2 Tbsp. fresh parsley, finely chopped
- salt and pepper to taste
To prepare chicken skewers
- In a small bowl, combine yogurt, turmeric, chili powder and lemon juice.
- Divide chicken pieces equally and place on skewers.
- Set skewers in a wide dish and cover with marinade. Set aside.
To prepare the pilaf
- In a large saucepan, melt butter over low heat, add onion and saute until soft – about 5 minutes.
- Add ground coriander and ground cumin, stirring well to avoid sticking.
- Add rice, and saute for about 1 minute before adding stock.
- Bring to a boil, then reduce heat to low and cover. Leave to cook over low heat for 20 minutes.
- Just before serving, add prunes, pistachio nuts and fresh herbs to rice and mix well.
- On hot oiled grill, place chicken skewers turning every 2 to 3 minutes, for a total of 8 minutes or until the chicken is cooked through.
Serve chicken skewers on top of pilaf and enjoy.
More recipe ideas
Roasted Green Cabbage Paupiettes Stuffed with Pigeon Hearts and Truffle Purée, with a Savory Brown Sauce
With the kind assistance of California Prunes
©Copyright MSCOMM 1996 – 2022. Michèle Serre, Éditeur
Hints & Tips