Chicken and Watermelon Rind Tagine Recipe
Flavors of Morocco
Total time: more than 2 hours
Cooking time: 1 1/2 hours
For 4 servings
- 1 chicken
- 2 or 3 onions
- 3 cinnamon sticks
- 2 tsp. ginger
- 1 tsp. pepper
- 1/2 tsp. saffron
- 300 ml / 1 1/5 cup water
- 100 ml / 2/5 cup vegetable oil
- rind of one medium watermelon
- 4 Tbsp. sugar
- a dash of cinnamon
- sesame seeds, toasted
- Remove the white part from the watermelon rind and cut it into small dice.
- Steam for 20 minutes.
- Caramelize in a mixture of butter, sugar, cinnamon and orange flower water.
- Cut the chicken into pieces. Sauté in a little oil in a wok.
- Once the chicken is nicely browned, lower the heat and add the sliced onions. Cook until the onions are translucent.
- Transfer the chicken and onions to a tajine (or a large pot with a lid). Add just enough water to cover.
- Add the cinnamon, ginger, pepper and saffron. Cover and simmer over very low heat for about 90 minutes, stirring occasionally. Check the chicken for doneness - the meat should come away from the bones.
- Serve the chicken with the caramelized watermelon rind.
- Sprinkle with sesame seeds and serve immediately.
More recipe ideas
Hints & Tips