Cooking time: 20 minutes
Ponche de frutas guatemalteco - This sweet and cinnamony Christmas punch warms the soul while tickling your taste buds! In Guatemala it is served hot with traditional Christmas tamales on Christmas eve and new year's eve. It's a delicious tradition that goes back generations for many Guatemalan families.
You can make this with whatever fruit you like. We recommend, however, balancing the fruit flavors, and not adding too many overpowering citrus flavors.
- Heat the water in a large pot.
- As the water heats, cut up the fruit and add to the pot.
- When the water is hot, stir in the cinammon sticks, cloves, salt, and sugar (adjust to taste). Allow the water to simmer gently but not boil, since rapid boiling will reduce the liquid and change the flavors while overcooking the fruit.
- Leave on low heat 10 minutes longer.
- Transfer to a festive punch bowl and serve warm.
Recipe translation and adaptation: MSCOMM
Hints & Tips