Prep. time: A few minutes
Cooking time: 8-10 minutes
Infusing time: 1 hour or overnight according to the chosen version
In Finland, it is traditional to serve this hot aromatic fruit soup over rice porridge.
Some people add 3 Tbsp. potato starch diluted in a little water to the cooking liquid in the last step for a thicker consistency.
- Place the sugar and all the fruits and spices except the cinnamon sticks and salt in a saucepan. Add water. Let soak overnight.
- Bring to a boil with the cinnamon and a touch of salt if desired.
- Reduce the heat and simmer until the fruit is fully cooked.
- Transfer the fruit with a slotted spoon to a serving dish and remove the cinnamon sticks.
Thicken the juice
- Quickly return the mixture to a boil until the desired texture is reached.
- Pour over the fruits.
- Put all the ingredients in a saucepan. Bring to a boil; reduce the heat and simmer for 6 minutes.
- Turn off the heat, cover the saucepan and let rest for an hour before serving so that the flavors meld.
If you prefer a thicker, more syrupy juice, just simmer it a little longer.
Hints & Tips